Edmonton Roofing Company +1-780-246-7597

How Much Does It Cost To Replace Your Roof - 2018

Prev Next
Project #1 Materials.jpg

May 07, 2018

How Much Does It Cost To Replace Your Roof - 2018

This article is meant to educate homeowners on the cost of replacing your roof. On average, the cost of roofing doubles every five years so it is important to make an informed decision when determining the right time to re-roof. When deciding if you should re-roof, it is important to consider the value that you are receiving and compare quotes on a price per square foot basis.

The cost of a roof replacement depends on three main factors: the material of the shingles, slope of the roof, and labour rate. Out of these three factors, the material of the shingles is the most important.

If you were to compare cost, quality, and the lifetime of the roof, your standard asphalt shingle is the most economical choice. Within Edmonton AB and its surrounding areas, more than 65% of homes use asphalt shingles. The remaining 35% vary between cedar shakes, Euroshield rubber roofing, clay tiles, and Decra metal roofing.

Asphalt Shingles

Since the majority of homes in Edmonton focus on asphalt shingle, let’s look at how much it costs to replace an asphalt roof. The average cost (for material and labour) is approximately $3.00 to $4.00 per square foot. For a standard 1,600 square foot roof, that is a total cost of $4,800 to $6,400. Comparing the price per square foot allows you to gauge the true value that you are receiving from your contractor.

If the price per square foot is higher than $4.00, you may be using a premium style of shingle and should expect a higher quality of workmanship. Alternatively, if the contractor charges $2.00 per square foot, then you may want to be concerned about the quality of the shingles and workmanship.

The right contractor is the one who can provide the best value for your situation.

The Other Thirty-Five Percent

Consisting of cedar shakes, Euroshield rubber, clay tiles and Decra metal, these materials are more expensive than asphalt shingles but offer greater benefits to you and your home.

So how much more do they cost? Generally, the final bill could be two or three times the cost of asphalt roofing, while providing three or four times the benefits. With greater resistance and durability, Euroshield rubber and Decra metal roofing have withstood hurricane winds and baseball sized hail, while maintaining a 50+ year lifetime.

In addition to their superb quality, rubber and metal roofs are an friendly selection for homeowners who are environmentally conscious, or who want an elegant and distinguishable home.

When deciding that you should re-roof your home, always consider the value that you are receiving, what features are most important to you, and to compare quotes on a price per square foot basis.


aara.jpg
bp-system-plus.jpg
certainteed.jpg
gaf.jpg
haag.jpg
euroshield.jpg